Sunday 28 January 2024

A Lassie’s Envy

I stand with my eyes closed 

Imagining your breath slowly steaming my eyes

The moist breeze in my neck 

Makes me shiver and get closer for warmth and comfort 

Longing your touch 

Longing your voice saying my name


The bottle of whiskey steams too 

In your breath of appreciation.

I’m jealous!

I don’t taste like peaty exotic honey. 

Do I make your lips tingle like her?


Please swallow me in slow sips, 

In between the fast chords of your guitar, like you do to her…

Take your time in my sweet lips too

And then leave me again…

Put me down on the table, waiting for another thirst spell! 

I’ll just be watching you play. 


In the dark cold nights of deep introspection, 

You can swallow me in big gulps 

I’ll make you dizzy and dazed, 

With lost loose thoughts of ‘maybes’ and ‘what ifs’. 

I’ll make you feel better.

But I know I just won’t wash your throat with the same warmth 

I know I just won’t make you long for me the same way. 





(A poem for a Burns Night competition for Malt of whiskey- submitted on 28th January 2024)

No comments:

Post a Comment